Where to file a Misdemeanor Motion to Expunge in Rhode Island can be a difficult question to answer. Contact Attorney Marin representation.
Where to file your Motion to Expunge a Misdemeanor Charge in Rhode Island?
Rhode Island law requires that you file a Motion to Expunge a misdemeanor in the District Court in which the conviction took place. By "court" the statute is referring to the particular county in which the conviction took place. In Rhode Island, there are four county district courts.
However, in the last few years a number of jurisdictions which had previously handled their cases in the Providence District Court (or 6th District Court) have moved to the Kent County District Court (or 3rd District Court). Any Motion to Expunge a misdemeanor prosecuted by those towns, formerly handled in Providence, must be filed in Kent County. Therefore, it is important to review the list below to determine what district your Motion to Expunge a misdemeanor should be filed in. The contact information for each district court is listed below, along with the towns that are handled within each district.
- Providence County District Court (6th Division District Court)
- Address: 1 Dorrance Plaza Providence, RI 02903
- Phone: 401-458-5400
- Towns: Barrington, Bristol, Central Falls, Cumberland, East Providence, Pawtucket, Providence, Warren, Woonsocket
- Kent County District Court (3rd Division District Court)
- Address: 222 Quaker Lane Warwick, RI 02886
- Phone: 401-822-6750
- Towns: Coventry, Cranston, East Greenwich, Exeter, Foster, Glocester, Johnston, Lincoln, North Providence, North Smithfield, Scituate, Smithfield, Warwick, West Greenwich, West Warwick
- Washington County District Court (4th Division District Court)
- Address: 4800 Tower Hill Road Wakefield, RI 02879
- Phone: 401-782-4131
- Towns: Block Island, Charlestown, Hopkinton, Narragansett, Richmond, South Kingstown, Westerly
- Newport County District Court (2nd Division District Court)
- Address: 45 Washington Square Newport, RI 02840
- Phone: 401-841-8350
- Towns: Jamestown, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, Tiverton
The statute that governs the filing of Motions to Expunge in Rhode Island is Rhode Island General Law 12-1.3-2 which provides as follows:
Contact Attorney Matthew Marin for Assistance Filing A Misdemeanor Motion to Expunge At 401-228-8271
At the Law Offices of Matthew T. Marin, we can help you determine where to file your motion to expunge. If you hire us to handle your expungement matter, most likely will will be able to file the motion and appear in court on your behalf for the hearing. That means you will likely never have to appear in court! Contact us now at 401-228-8271 or fill out the No Obligation Expungement Consultation Form.